Tuesday 17 March 2009

Brixton shopping centre - saved

Readers might recall a news round up post, made at the end of February, in which I commented on my opposition to development on the top of Brixton market.

Well, there has since appeared some positive news. I spotted an article in South London Press which states:

DEVELOPERS have pulled out of controversial plans to build a tower block over a popular market...

But the South London Press can reveal LAP – which had been due to submit a planning application to Lambeth council this month – has pulled out of the project because of the economic downturn.


So, clearly, the threatened development over part of Brixton Market is not over for good, but it is less likely now that nobody has any money to invest. In the meantime, according to the South London Press, the development opposition are going to try to get the buildings housing the market listed! I'll report on anything else I see as it arises.

I really should make it clear, for the record, that I'm not opposed to all development. There are some areas and sites that would benefit from housing, shops, gardens, allotments etc. but I can't ever stress enough the need for sensitive developments, and I'm typically against the new development of high rise dwellings(anything above about 15 storeys) since I think they make the formation of community more difficult. For the record, I support the development of the Elephant and Castle shopping centre, as long as provision is made for some form of discounted units for existing traders.

No comments:

Label Cloud